Tuesday 7 January 2014

THE HUNT: LOSS OF INNOCENCE


Photo Courtesy http://claratsi.files.wordpress.com
"The Hunt" is an undaunted drama from Danish director Thomas Vinterberg which dissects the human nature with microscopic precision.  Yes, it's a common tale that has been told in cinema before, but never so well. A man accused of a crime he did not commit, a judgmental society that leaves no stone unturned in ostracizing an innocent man and children who do not understand the enormity of their actions, the hunt is a glance into injustices prevalent in the society.


 A gritty and hard-hitting statement the movie is able to capture the fragility of trust that exists in the human relations.  Friendships are shattered, Good will is tarnished and lives destroyed all based on a simple statement by a little girl who felt scorned by the rejection dealt out by her child hood crush. A simple statement made by a person who was not able to understand the enormity of what is being said was enough to turn people against each other. But as one of the characters in the movie emphatically points out “Sometimes children lie”. Sometimes good people give in to hysteria, and lose all sense of reason. Sometimes they destroy innocent lives.
Photo Courtesy http://i.telegraph.co.uk
Although acting in this movie is first class with no exception, it is essentially a one-man show. While supporting cast members are all up to the challenge, Lucas is on screen virtually every moment of the movie and its overall success rises or falls on his believability. Among the children, Klara is brilliant. She is entirely believable as the girl with the vivid imagination and understandable lack of foresight who is lead by over-enthusiastic adults and suffers her own punishment of confusion alone. There is a scene in this movie where Lucas as her if he has done anything bad to her and she responds by saying she doesn’t remember but every one’s talking about it. In my opinion one of the most endearing scenes in this movie that captures the power of persuasion adults have on children. 
Photo Courtesy http://images.quickflix.com.au
When the very same persons who are supposed to help you distinguish between right and wrong start taking the grey area the society crumbles and innocence becomes lost. The Hunt is a harrowing experience that is not an easy film to watch, especially if the viewer has had past experience with the subject. The exceptional performances, however, make it easier to appreciate.  It makes you empathize with all the characters, not just the protagonist and really makes you think about what you would do if you found yourself, or someone you loved, in that situation. A must watch movie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Parvathy! I found your blog through goodreads, so I figured to stop by and check it out! So glad I did, because I not only review books, but also movies! So imagine my surprise when I came on your blog and saw some of your film reviews. :)

    I haven't had the chance to watch The Hunt but I am a huge fan of Mads Mikkelsen and I heard that the movie has been nominated for an Academy award in the foreign category. This is a very good review! I will have to watch it before the award show so I can see what I am missing!

    Anyway, I also wanted to follow your blog, but I don't see any way that I can. I will add your blog to my favorites/bookmarks so I can stop by periodically. Feel free to stop by my blog and check it out. I have reviews for books and film.

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete